Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II
View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
At this stage in Granlund's career, I just don't think playing center suits his abilities/playing style at all. The center in our offense hardly gets the puck and is usually the high guy/trailer in the offensive zone and the guy helping the D outlet it to the wings in the defensive zone. It doesn't fit his skillset at all. Personally, I think that's the biggest problem.

If he played all year like he did in Pheonix he'd be a Calder candidate easy. Some of you expect him to be a wizard with the puck like a Datsyuk, but Granlund created 4-5 really good scoring chances minimum against Phoenix. Plus, realistically Granlund's been really solid defensively all year. He's ran around a bit, but for some reason that's kind of how the whole team plays D. (Which is why we get caught out of position/have issues covering the points/covering guys in front of the net) We are constantly scrambling to get back into position.

Just my two cents...

Anyways...I think they put Coyle on the first line for two reasons...

1) I think that they still think Granlund is a center.
2) Coyle's body type is similiar to Heatley...although he's not quite as big...he's a lot faster. Heatley probably opens up space a lot better than Coyle in front of the net, though Coyle looked really good especially on that one play where Smith made a good toe save.

I'm not sure that they want another small guy with Parise...although it shouldn't really matter because Parise doesn't play small at all.

Personally I think the lines should be...

Parise-Koivu-Granlund
Heatley-Brodziak/Cullen-Coyle
Bouchard-Brodziak/Cullen-Setoguchi
Mitchell-Konopka-Clutterbuck
Rupp/Kassian

Brodziak/Heater/Coyle could bruise people up in the cycle game.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote