View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 09:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Nieves is third among all Freshman skaters in the nation in assists. Outside of Riley Barber, the other guys ahead of him are either not heralded, smurfs or both.

Nieves is kind of a freak of nature because guys his size and as fast as he, especially in college or the CHL normally dont have great vision and playmaking ability.

You can count on one hand how many guys 6'2 or bigger players are pass-first guys and do it well. Rackin up assists from playing on a stacked team and racking up assists because you're just a great passer are two differerent things.

Nieves has a really high ceiling.
I just realized that not only is Nieves 3rd in the nation in assists among freshman, but he is ALSO currently the leading overall scorer on his Michigan team as a freshman. That's pretty freakin' impressive, even on a mediocre team. I wonder where he ranks in the nation's overall scoring race if you subtract his first ten games...

Loved the pick at the time and love it now - players like Boo are exactly the types of picks I like to see the team make in the 2nd and 3rd round and even when drafting late in the 1st. (This is also why I really wanted them to trade up into the early 3rd to get Mac Squared.) I know that Beacon has been pushing the smaller skilled guys or injured guys when you're drafting late and I agree with the basic idea of going for guys with red flags over the guys who look the part, but haven't put up big numbers - but I prefer the kids with skills AND size who get the "level of competition" rap. Nieves (and Kreider) is (are) exactly why.

When it comes to drafting late, I prefer:
- Level of competition rap
- KHL risk
- Coming off an injury
- Undersized
- Holes in his game
- Looks the part, but hasn't blossomed for some reason

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 02-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.