Thread: Dreger: Leafs listening on Kessel?
View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 10:36 PM
kihei

vCash: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge Kessel supporter and feel that he's been short changed his entire career in Toronto by idiotic fans and management alike.

There were no efforts made on their part to build the team around him. This goes back to Burke for the timing of the deal. I mean I can imagine the Leafs trying to get a top line C for the past 4 or so years but you need assets to do that.

Now you're stuck in a limbo. His contract runs out in a year and a half and his value at this time is higher than it would be next year which would be the last year of his deal.

Toronto as a team has not shown this season that they can roll with the big boys and this is still very much a team in transition. If you're talking about timing of a potential deal, I think this is the best time.

I don't think his value is any lower because he doesn't have goals. Opposing team's scouts will see there is an improvement in his overall play. He's as committed as I've ever seen him at both ends of the ice. The goals will come. He's still more often than not the best player on the ice for both teams.
I hope you are right about his current value. I'll be very sorry to see him go.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote