View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

vCash: 500
I thought it was quite funny that Löw played Höwedes at left back because he didn't want to move Lahm over there, when Höwedes simply isn't a left back while Lahm has plenty of high-level experience at the position.

The consequence? Höwedes did nothing in attacking support because he can't even hit a half-decent pass with his left foot.

I'm not sure what the point was, as if Lahm was going to forget how to play right back if he he had to play on the left in this game. And Lahm doesn't need to get used to linking up with Müller either since both routinely form Bayern's right wing together. Meanwhile Höwedes will never be an option at left back.

If he is that married to the idea of Lahm on the right by the way, it means he has basically narrowed down the left back choice to 1st Schmelzer 2nd Boateng 3rd Badstuber which can't please anyone because Schmelzer is unstable and the latter two are plainly not suitable. It also means the idea of Sebastian Jung moving into the RB slot before the WC is basically a non-starter.

Höwedes is also getting a rough deal here because he's simply used as a stop-gap for wherever Löw is short a body. Höwedes has never been given a proper try-out at CB and has been no worse at RB than all the other non-Lahm options (I personally favor him over Boateng there). Lahm at LB and Höwedes at RB has been one of the better options we've tried actually.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote