View Single Post
02-07-2013, 05:52 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

And now you can bring up the Scott fight. The argument is that there will be far more evidence supporting the stance ECWHSWI and I share than yours.

I never said it was an absolute. Of course an emotional swing can help your team. My argument is that it doesn't happen often enough and that even when it does, the magnitude of that boost isn't enough to qualify giving away a roster spot to someone who may or may (probably) not be on the ice at the precise time he's needed to punch somebody in the nose. Some teams that are stacked may be able to afford that luxury, the habs are not quite that stacked yet.

And I agree that you generally have to answer for decking a star player. Look at Bourque after he elbowed Backstrom, I think? He had to fight Hendricks and nearly knocked his head off. I just see it as having a negligible impact either way.
Savard, Bergeron and Horton shows little to nothing regarding the roles of enforcers. All it shows is that injuries and bad plays can and still happen, no one ever suggested otherwise, to think having a heavyweight can eliminate all injuries and cheap shots is well, naive. However, they do provide security/production to the good players and they also provide increased security for the middleweights and other guys that handle the tough stuff.

So I will ask again. Show me the evidence, because right now all you've shown is that injuries still happen. Wow, not exactly mind blowing here. There is undoubtedly and accumulative effect over the course of a long season that benefits non fighters by having fighters police the game to varying degrees. Nearly every good team has someone who can perform the role, although they may not be a strict heavyweight, but carrying one instead of Colby Armstrong would not hinder the play of the habs at all and "could" provide Prust/White/moen relief to help increase their role. I would much rather have one than Colby Armstrong.