Thread: Rumor: Pens eyeing Kulemin
View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 06:35 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I really feel like Pittsburgh's 1st for Kulemin is a good deal for both sides...and since people want Crosby's wing addressed it kind of would. It would allow for Malkin and Kulemin to play together and they could move Neal to play with Crosby. I know Neil and Malkin have good chemistry...but Crosby and Neil would be pretty awesome while Kulemin is proven with Malkin, too.
No, it's not. It's a totally one sided deal for the Pens.

Hockey trades involving players that are highly valued by their current team aren't made based on value, they're made on being in both team's best interest. So, what's more "valuable" between Kulemin & a first has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

To get Kulemin, you have to do what any team would do to another team to trade a player they want to keep -- make them a better team. Olli Maatta isn't going to do that. Neither is a 1st round pick. At this point in the season, you'd have to look at the Penguins roster. If you're not prepared to help another team in the immediate, all they're going to be willing to trade you are guys who they don't view as part of the plan going forward.

In terms of players that help our team more than Kulemin, the list is pretty short, because the Leafs don't have a lot of needs and do have a lot of depth. You're basically looking at Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, & Fleury. You could make the case for Despres, but as I mentioned earlier, his fit with the Leafs long term is highly questionable. As for Sutter, no. It's not a reflection of value, simply that considering the roster above Kulemin/Sutter, we're substantially better off with the big winger who's shown the ability to score 30 goals than we are with a 3rd line centre.