View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Stray Wasp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
It is terrible business, that's why all the people who signed Carroll have been sacked. If Newcastle does any deal of that nature they're morons, I personally wouldn't pay more than 5 million for that big lump.
A personal source that I'd describe as credible, though not infallible, reckoned that Spurs bid 17.5 million for Ben Arfa last month. Cue a hotly-contested debate in the Newcastle hierarchy. Ashley wanted to take the money, claiming they: "could sign four quality players for that much." Pardew held firm.

I heard this tale between Debuchy's arrival and the four subsequent signings, when it looked like Ashley was pinning his hopes on the return of Cabaye and Steven Taylor to see the team through until May. In the end, Newcastle's gross transfer spending in January was estimated at 18-20 million, which is remarkably similar to Ashley's alleged forecast.

I could envisage Newcastle selling Ben Arfa this summer, but not spending all the money on one man. Then there's the dicey question of personal terms. To return to NUFC, Carroll would have to accept a pay cut at a time when the new TV deal promises to drive up transfer fees and salaries.