Thread: Ray Shero
View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
  #179
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
- Hossa was 2008 and Guerin was 2009. He can't continue to get a free pass for doing nothing positive at the TDl since 2009.
Neal. Last year the prices were ridicilously high. 1st for Gaustad? No thanks. Sometimes good asset management is more important than mediocre TDL acquisitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
-
- The Neal and Kunitz trades were amazing, there is no denying that. However, you can't forget trades that didn't work out (Poni, Z) or the fact that Shero still hasn't found Sid a winger via trade (cause he sure as hell isn't doing it through the draft).
.
How can you say Z trade didn't work out? It accomplished 100% of what Shero intended, which was to clear cap space. Sure he could've got more for Z but his main goal was to clear cap space to try to get Suter/Parise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
-
- How can "going after big time FAs" be a plus? It doesn't matter if he tries to go after them if he fails to sign them. Especially if he totally snubs every other FA while trying to get the best FA (ZP last summer).
OK it's not like he has some magical power to force FAs to sign here. It's a 2 way street. He went out and made a real push to sign elite FAs last summer in Parise and Weber. By all accounts Parise was very close to signing here. Shero has nothing to do with Parise chosing to sign in Minny. Same with Hamhuis and Hossa.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
-
The last things are basically saying that Shero doesn't take risks, which is why he only goes after sure things and signs 3rd line vets. At some point patience turns from a positive to a negative, and IMO we're about there.
.
Yes, let's trade valuable assets for mediocre acquisitions. Let's trade a 1st for Paul Gaustad, or three 1sts for an aging Chris Pronger. That'll solve our D problems! Every acquisition and transaction has a degree of "risk" to it. The fact that Shero doesn't take "risks", aka stupid deals, is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
-
Also, with all is vet bottom 6 signings, and DB's ***** for those guys, our prospects don't get any time to develop.
Penguins, under DB, never had any legit forwards prospects who needed time to develop. The only semi significant F prospects was Tangradi, and he got a significant chance in 2011 when Sid and Geno got injured, and again last year on the 4th line. He was outscored by Craig Adams! He has 1 fluke goal in his entire 40 something game career. Jeffrey and Vitale got a shot and both took advantage. Bylsma has nothing to do with prospects not developing. Perhaps the lack of NHL caliber forwards in the farm is a legit gripe for Shero. Even so, it's not an issue because the pens consistently have an upper echelon offense. And it's not like the core players are old or in danger of leaving. Yes, even Geno and Thetang.


Last edited by Ziggyjoe21: 02-07-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote