Old
02-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
PourSomeMcDavidOnMe

vCash: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
The more I'm reading about him this morning, I think he's going to see Kovalchuk a lot on his double shifts. Could work out well in the right situation. (5v5 offensive zone draws)
That's part of the problem imo CB. Acquire more forwards and still double-shift Kovy? Of all the songs surrounding Kovy that Jim has broadcast from high atop the mountain from WWJD, the one catchy tune that is stuck in my head worse than a Lady Gaga hook is how much better Kovy produces as his ice time goes down. 5on5 double shifts, PP and PK duty and we're using him more than the captured ship double shooter on Galaga during a bonus stage. We've got another 12 years of that contract and I'd like him to have some ankles left outside the next 3 seasons.

Sure the pundits will source his 5th place stats in scoring despite leading all forwards and nearly all defenseman in ice time last year but we've seen it first hand that results in more floating.

Last year he was the only forward with more than 23 minutes per game average with 24:26 per game. This year he is already at 26:08 - more than 4 minutes over the next closest forward.

There is a diminishing return for every extra minute he's on the ice and when he's closer to half the game than a third, something is wrong with the lineup. I hope this kid can help relieve that depth issue, but if we're just swapping him out for Barch, Harrold, Butler, Anderson or whatever the 4th line winger of the week is rather than filling it then I fear the team that goes as Kovy goes will be going golfing much sooner than last year. We can only live off Clarkson's goals and the CBGB line's enery so long before the cupboard is empty.

I want tangible depth that can play now and afford us rolling 4 lines not 3 & 2/3rds.

"Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception." - Carl Sagan