View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
It's possible Winnipeg has interest in Bernier. They just signed Pavelec to a long term extension, but he has been pretty terrible this season. He was below average last year as well, a .915 goalie and WPG likely makes playoffs last year.

Doesn't seem to be in GM Kevin Chevaldayoff's wheelhouse to overpay in trades though, so not sure what they would be offering up. WPG does have 3 2nd Rounders and 2 3rd Rounders in the upcoming draft though, to go along with their 1st Rounder.

Could see something around Bernier for CHI 2nd + D Paul Postma/D Zach Redmond + G Al Montoya. Postma is a smooth skating defenseman with a wicked shot, great first pass, can put up points, fantastic on PP, but is only average defensively. Redmond is more of twoway guy, solid positionally, solid first pass, kind of jack of all trades (kind of like a Martinez). WPG does not really have room for both longterm, but both are solid youngsters playing great for WPG. Gives Kings depth now with the injuries and in the off-season they can likely deal Martinez for a solid return. Or you can change for that for impending UFA D Ron Hainsey, solid defensively, has played tough minutes the past couple of years for WPG, solid #4 guy. But WPG would probably want to drop the pick in that case.
I don't see it. Pavelec is due to get a lot of coin in the coming seasons and I doubt Winnipeg will buy him out, so they are either stuck with him or they trade him. The trade market for a goalie paid that well who is struggling isn't very good, ask Bryzgalov. And if he turns it around, then why deal him?

And if he doesn't turn it around, the Jets will give him every chance to do so before they give up. As such, I'd be shocked if he's not essentially guaranteed to be the Jets starter until sometime into next season, no matter how bad he is.

Bernier will likely be moved by then.

As for the deal, on a pure value aspect, I'd be all over the 2nd+Postma+Montoya deal. Postma I think is a severely underrated prospect who will be a very good two-way defender, but that said, that's not what the Kings really need and would just be to much behind Doughty, Voynov and Martinez. Redmond meanwhile would fit in a bit better, but his cost likely shouldn't be very much.

I can't see Winnipeg on the radar for Bernier, but if he was, and if a defenseman was part of the deal (which seems very likely under the current situation) I'd imagine the defenseman coming the other way would be Mark Stuart. His cap hit is very reasonable ($1.7 mill) and he's signed into next year and plays a style somewhat similar to Rob Scuderi, who is a UFA after the season. And odds are DL is looking to trim some payroll while staying competitive for next year as we will be very tight to the cap.

Bernier for Stuart and a 2nd?