View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Retail1LO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
I think its partially due to the uncertainty of Phoenix, but I think its mostly because the league wanted to address travel issues.

As it is now you got a team like Columbus, Chicago, and Detroit making multiple trips to Southern California and Western Canada. The new format would drastically reduce travel times by having more divisional games.

Also the existing playoff structure is a nightmare for travel because again, teams like Detroit and Chicago could up flying all the way to the west coast for each of the first three rounds of the playoffs.

The proposed format would limit travel to within your "conference", and wouldnt be as crazy. There would still be some pain points (ie Boston or Toronto vs Florida or Tampa, or LA/SJ/Ana vs Vancouver/Calgary or Edmonton, but nothing is going to be perfect.

I would also like it if they took the final four teams and did a re-seeding, that way a team in the Leafs division for example could play a team in the Rangers division in the cup final.
To me, this is the biggest, and most important change I want to see. With a re-seeding of the teams after each of the 4 conferences is decided, it would mean any 2 teams, except those within the same conference, could meet in the Stanley Cup Final. That NEEDS to happen. Personally, I think there needs to be a way that any two teams PERIOD could meet for the final. There's no reason the Hawks and Wings, or Leafs and Bruins, shouldn't be able to meet one another in a Cup final.