View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I still maintain that we should cash in while he still has great value (as a former No. 1 overall and a Cup winner), or else he'll wind up as untradeable as Luongo for very different reasons.

1) I don't think his value is as high as you think it is. He could certainly bring a solid return and help our depth in different areas but Howson already traded Nash and Voracek.

We're not getting any big-time forwards for MAF.... Unless we're trading him for Iginla, in the world's most unexpected trade. Kipper is on his last legs IMO so while not high probability at all, I could fathom something like that happening if Calgary really were going to blow the team up. That is, trade Kipper, Iginla, Tanguay, Boumeester for a whole bunch of new assets. Find the "final goalie solushun" in a couple years.

Barring that insanity we're most likely to get 2 Kunitz and Niskanen type players for him (total), with some combo of picks or prospects being moved around since trading for goalies usually involves odd combinations of assets (rarely goalie for goalie / starter for starter -- in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen that).

2) He'll never be as hard to move as Luongo, because he'll never get a contract even remotely as bad as Luongo's.

If Flower does get re-signed (probably better than a 50/50 chance but still not a sure thing), he won't be getting a big raise. He's going to be 30 years old at that time and no one is giving an inconsistent, 30 year old goalie more than 4 years, and not more than $5M hit IMO. Very likely less. Even if he did win a Cup.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote