Thread: Proposal: Leafs need a #1 center
View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Rangers can manage this year, next, then must trade or buy out before a big contract so there is space under declining cap for McDonagh, etc.

Not moving Nash or Gaborik. That leaves Richards, who can't hold it vs. Rangers the cap went down and either he has input and agrees to trade (waiving NMC) or is bought out.

Like rest of most of Rangers, he's been uneven early on but I blame this more on friggin Torts changing lines every other minute than overly accelerated decline. Decline will likely happen, but he has, IMO, 3-4 good years left (esp. if he is not on a Torts team where forwards sacrifice the body, block shots, etc.). Shortly after that, I think his own contract has a buyout clause, also the cap hit goes way down.

What about this:
Richards + Michele St. Croix + Christian Thomas + additional compensation to be determined (conditional draft picks?)
for
Jake Gardiner as is

I understand he's easing back from concussion. Two weeks from now he could pull a Marc Staal; or he is one hit away from turning into Mike Sauer.

So MSC cost us Grachev, a third round pick, and he has a track record of scoring to date. Christian Thomas was a second, genuinely has all the tools but is smallish, will either be a bottom sixer or another Marty St. Louis, a real boom bust (also is son of former Leaf/Black Hawk star Steve Thomas).

Is that fair? 3rd + 2nd value Ws with some demonstrated scoring ability + Richards, for Gardiner, and we provide conditional picks that upgrade depending upon his availability and performance.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote