Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
Absolutely, positively, no way.

1st line centers:

Brad Richards
Steven Stamkos
Sidney Crosby
Ryan Getzlaf

etc

Stepan isn't even close to that mold when he's on his best. When he's going and going good he is an average to above average 2C

Teddy bears. I love Teddy Bears

There may be a terminology issue here. When you say "first line center", do you distinguish between average first line centers and those who are elite? The guys you listed are elite, and there are only a handful of them in the entire league. If that is your definition of a first line center, then most of the teams in the league don't even have ONE first line center.

Stepan, based on his production and his increased focus on his defense, is clearly an average to good second line center. When he's at his best, he plays like a serviceable to average first line center. Anybody can see that.

Frankly, he should have even more points than he currently has. He's set up a couple of CHOICE scoring chances for guys who proceeded to choke (One example off the top of my head--I don't remember which game it was, but in one of the early games, he made a perfect pass through the crease to Gaborik who botched it on the empty net).