View Single Post
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The lockout shortened the season to 48 games. No inter-Conference games, arena availability for the various teams, and trying to shorten the number of times teams need to fly across the country.

The Wing's model had been to load up on defense, play a defense-first game overall thus not needing an elite goalie.

I don't think Howard is really a "problem" for this team in general. If they can't find any defensemen to spend their big bucks on, well then Kenny can reevaluate and see if an elite goalie would be worth the money. Can't see him putting his eggs in one basket like that though.
All of this is spot on. The only truly "elite" goaltender the Wings have had in recent memory was Hasek. I love Ozzie, and his 08 Playoff performance was Conn Smythe worthy, but much of his performance can be credited to a truly elite d corp. Gone are the days of us outshootingopponents every night 40-20. Howard is a good goalie, but as stated, his playoff perfomances and inability to maintain focus for 60 minutes has shot us in the foot the past 3 seasons. He has made huge saves and had stellar games, but how many deflating goals have we seen trickle in? He is a solid goalie with a good defense in front of him, but we lack that, and his save % and gaa reflects it. I'm stoked for Mrazek, the kid worked his rear off to get here and he deserves it. I only hope that if he plays lights out he is rewarded and not sat/sent back dow ...