View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
I love how some people on here think landing a number one defenseman is as easy as just submitting an offer to them. People need to realize that Weber and Suter hitting the market at the same time is a rarity. Fact is, number one defensemen are very rare to come by because most teams lock them up to long term deals before they even reach the open market. As well, when a team deals a number one defensemen, it's usually for the following reasons:

1) The player has requested a trade
2) The team is about to begin a rebuild and feel that moving their number defenseman will result in speeding up the rebuild by acquiring multiple assets
3) Said player is about to become a UFA and has no interest in re-signing with their team

That's the reality of the situation. Landing a number one defenseman isn't just that easy.

As for re-signing Timonen, it's a no brainer. Scott Stevens, Al MacInnis, Ray Bourque, and Rob Blake are just some defensemen who also had good seasons at 38 - 39 years of age. And if you look at Kimmo's numbers, he's right up there with them. Am I saying that he's as good as those guys listed? No, but he's no slouch either. So, for some to act like Kimmo is done is entirely premature.

As for not having a true "number 1" in the lineup, I think a team can survive with a number 2 and three number 3's in the lineup. Right now, I'd say that Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann and Meszaros fit the bill with regards to number 3 guys around the league.

So, for people to act like this is a club in a desperate situation is highly over-reacting.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote