View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Section337

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
The thing that frustrates me the most about the Whitney-Potter pairing is their tendency to pass the puck to their partner behind the net instead of sending it forward on the breakout. The vast majority of the time the other guy bobbles the puck, or otherwise can't handle it cleanly, which gives enough time for a hard forechecker to get in and disrupt the play. Teams are playing our defense hard, and I think it's because they realize that if they disrupt that first pass, they're going to be able to keep the puck in the zone.

That needs to change if this team wants to build a rhythm in the transition game. Unfortunately I don't trust Whitney or Potter to be able to change that. This team badly needs to add a top-4 defender without sending one away.

Having some forward depth that can play more than a few minutes a night would be nice too.
I agree with this, but their are too many forwards, the ones who try to pass it through the opponent d-men's legs in the offensive zone, who expect the Oiler d-men to make the perfect pass to them through forecheckers. Outside of sometimes Gagner, the Oilers can only bring the puck through the neutral zone on the wings and that is usually Hall or Hemsky.

Just about the only time I ever see a set of forwards bringing the puck safely up through centre ice, pushing defenders back into their own zone, is when that team is skating towards Dubnyk.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote