View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
As a die-hard Isles fan, I am not so quick to jump onto this idea.

A few reasons...

1) It is not a good idea to just assume Tavares and player "x" will click. Ovie and his huge personality could be an easy conflict and clubhouse issue. I could see the team dividing between the two.

2) The contract terms are not favorable to the Isles after having gone through Yashin and DiPietro. I don't see Wang or Snow venturing down this road again.

3) Nothing against Russian, their people, or even their players all have proven to show greatness at various times. But it has not been a very good for the Islanders and Russian players. Nabokov and Nemchinov are the lone exceptions during their times. Putting so much into such an unknown? I wouldn't!

4) Giving up Strome and Nino at a minimum is what the caps would start with and also one of Donovan, Mayfield, Hamonic. Giving up that much potential to a conference rival is not something that would interest me. There is no guarantee that Ovie would be any different here then he is their, and while there is no guarantee with the above mentioned prospects (save Hamonic) I am more inclined to NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES as Mike Milbury made by trading away young potential super stars for struggling players with fat contracts.

Call me crazy, but unless the Caps are giving him away (and even then) I am not a huge fan of the idea. Strome, Nino, Nelson, and defenders like Donovan, Mayfield, and even de Haan figure into the long term Isles plans for next season. The team is showing signs of growth and maturity. I don't want to see that screwed with.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote