View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
As far as Holmgren's "record", let's be real for a second: Holmgren took a team whose core was assembled mostly by Bobby Clarke and they went to the finals. They lost in the finals because they didn't have a #1 goaltender. Holmgren did NOTHING to remedy that situation. Then a year later, he blew that team up and brought in a 30 year old goalie after the fact to add to a rebuilding team. As far as putting us in position to win the cup every year, I'd totally disagree. Until 2011, we never had a goalie capable of winning the Stanley Cup and after 2011, we've been far to young a team to win the cup.
Ok lets be real. There were 5 players on that Stanley Cup roster acquired during Bobby Clarke's GM time: Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Simon Gagne, Claude Giroux, and Andreas Nodl. Giroux and Nodl were drafted the season before Clarke was fired so hard to give him the credit for them but ok. I guess Briere, who tied the playoff scoring record, Leino, who broke the rookie playoff scoring record, Hartnell, and the ENTIRE defense were just supporting players and not really core players on that run. Holmgren did try to fix the goaltending position when he signed Ray Emery, for whom I contend if healthy the Flyers would have won that cup. I guess Holmgren should have known his hip would start literally dying midseason. Martin Biron was also thought to be a good goaltender at the time he was acquired, who only lost his job to the emerging Ryan Miller after backing up Hall of Famer Hasek. Just cause he didnt work out you cant accuse a GM of not trying.

I understand you hate Holmgren but his record puts him as a Top 5 GM in the league who deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: 6 total players. I forgot Oskars Bartulis

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote