View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 02:34 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
agree.

the problem is the depth is in PROSPECTS, not on the team itself. And no team wants prospects in-season. At the deadline, teams will want help for NOW, with expiring contracts, and all the Isles have to offer are: Nabokov, Visnovsky, Boyes, Martinek, maybe Streit if you want to deal your captain, at the weakest position no less?

There's nothing coming back that will significantly help this team next year, not for these guys.

Would Streit to the Pens for Olli Maata or Scott Harrington be a deal worth making? What about Streit to Philly for Couturier? or their counter, Wayne Simmonds?

Outside the conference: Streit to DET for Gustav Nyquist or Brendan Smith?

I don't think trades are the way to go.

UFAs is probably a better idea but that will mean a drastic overpayment that is often a bad move, both financially AND on-ice.
I hear what you're saying. Historically, those vets listed will get you draft picks at the deadline for exactly the reason you stated - maybe you get a prospect, but that's more unusual.

I think if you have depth and cap space (and a willingness to spend - big if), there are a lot of things you can do to improve. Prospects/players can be packaged for an upgrade in prospects. Or they can be dealt for an actual player on the outs elsewhere.

Hey, question on that subject. What's the deal with Ryan Whitney in Edmonton? I haven't seen enough of him in recent years to know how he's playing, but on paper there's a still relatively youngish d-man with size and some offense. I see the Isles and Edm as good trade partners. Just wondering. While we're at it, Paajarvi too.