View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 03:37 PM
TamaTavares

vCash: 500
I'm 28 years old and I've never played ice hockey. I played a decent amount of roller hockey as a teen, either around the neighborhood or in a local league with my friends. I would be goalie sometimes and then when someone else wanted to be goalie, we'd switch and I'd be a wing.

I've been really itching to play rec hockey the last three years. I finally signed up for some skating classes and then I'm gonna take a beginner's ice hockey class or two before I join a local league. Now for my question...

When I watch hockey games, I can't help but stare at the goalies for most of the game. My eyes are just glued. It's a fascinating position and I would LOVE to be a goalie. Is it unrealistic for someone to just start playing goalie without much prior experience and expect to be the goalie on their rec league team? I'm not too sure how the system works and I'd like an idea what I'm in for before I start researching and buying equipment. The rec leagues around here that I will be joining have 3 different skill levels, so I will be starting out at the bottom. Is there a good chance there will still be someone in the beginner level that has been playing goalie for years and would be much more qualified than Iam? Should I put in a few seasons playing D and working on goaltending on the side before I try to be the goalie for a team? Thanks! My name is Mike by the way.

TamaTavares is offline   Reply With Quote