View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 02:44 PM
LarsEller

vCash: 500
Hey guys. I feel like i need to clarify some things regarding Eller. First off im a big Montreal fan, so i have watched every single game Lars has played for Mtl.

It seems like some of you think that Eller is in the "doghouse" is Mtl. That is not the case. Last year our coach Jacques Martin had Eller playing as our 3rd line C for almost the entire season AS A SHUTDOWN center. Hes line was expected to play a defense first kinda game against top opposition almost every game. Ellers + Plekanecs line was matched against our opponents top lines constantly so that our 1īst line could play mostly against weaker lines.

Jacques had a longterm plan regarding Eller which was to teach him how to play responsible hockey at first. The main reason for his not so impressive stats is that he played with wingers with ZERO offensive upside, almost always started his shifts in the defensive zone and only played on the Pk. No PP time whatsoever.

Also i dont think anyone could have predicted the emergence of David Desharnais. He kinda came out of nowhere, and all of a sudden he was our most productive center. Secondly David D is ridiciously small, so he has to play top 6 since he cant play a checking/energy game.

In this years draft we picked up Alex Galchenyuk who played himself on the team instantly. That leaves Mtl with 4 top 6 centers. Tomas Plekanec, David Desharnais, Alex Galchenyuk and Lars Eller. The problem is that both David desharnais and Galchenyuk cant play in a 3rd/4th line role due to inexperience/size. And Plekanec is a proven veteran that has earned a top 6 spots over many seasons. So basically Eller is just unlucky that hes got the size and plays a really good 2 way game.

In regards to the benching of Eller after the first game. I, like many of you thought it was a weird decision. He had a bad game, but so did everyone else. My theory is that it was a bit random that Eller got picked out. No coack would bench a Veteran after 1 bad game, and u cant really blame Rookies like Galchenyuk and Gallagher, so that leaves a guy like Eller. Maybe Therrien just wanted to send a message to the team as a whole, that there would be no free rides?

Lastly a lot of habs posters still consider Eller to be a big talent, and thinks its just a matter of time before he will get his final breakout. Including me. He has played really well the last couple og games, and is being expected to play either 1īst or 2īnd line Tonight against Buffalo. Lets hope he can keep playing solid.