View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Vishnevskiy was the top defensive prospect in the organization by default. He was top because he was the only one for a while.

The revisionism is you overrating what Vishnevskiy was. I was really high on the guy at one point because his skating and his shot was so fun to watch, but even the few times I saw him play in the AHL, it was clear he didn't care. He was waiting for his contract to expire so he could head back to Russia. North America wasn't for him. Too bad for the Stars because he had the talent to be a real player.

It comes down to the Stars trading a guy who wasn't part of their long term plans. That's not a big gamble.

I give Nieuwy a lot of credit for making the deal. Why not? There was zero harm in doing so. If Kari couldn't play, nothing was given up. If Kari could play, he got a good goalie for nothing.
I freely admit to being more of a casual fan back in those days, so I didn't have the feeling that Visnovsky was headed back to Russia or that he wasn't going to put it together and be a good player, just that he was about the only prospect the Stars had as the team continued to decay.

I think it was a gamble, but some people around here treat it like Phoenix getting Bryzgalov off of waivers.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote