View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
No, not at all. My brother is also a Pens fan living in Brooklyn. Has been since 1990. The point is, the Penguins do not make a dime off you. The new Hartford team would be expected to make money off the people in connecticut. When you have fans of other teams already in the area, it makes it hard. Yes, maybe they gain fans from Parts of Vermont and New Hampshire, as well. However, if they are not going to games, they are not helping the team survive. The Rangers territory stretches into CT, as does the Bruins territory. Whatever fans Hartford had in western mass are likely bruins, rangers, or fans of other teams.

Diehard hockey fans would go to the games, and all those rangers, bruins fans would likely go to their team's games when it was in Hartford. I saw plenty of Bruins fans at the Civic center years ago.

Yes, the fanbase is weakened now but I don't think it's the biggest issue. The biggest issue preventing a team in Hartford is the state of the arena and the lack of serious interest in bringing a team here with a new arena.