View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 04:46 PM
StellerEller
Neednewname:(

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Why move him? Habs are doing well and he's the captain and leader. Habs aren't lacking in leadership, but I'm confused as to why we would move him. Even if he doesn't suit the system (which I somewhat disagree with), he's still the captain and you don't mess with that unless the return is to good to pass up or you need a shakeup.
I see what you're saying, and it's not like he has been playing poorly, but he seems to be becoming very predictable in his offensive zone play. It's always the shot from the wing on the rush and he seems to be getting some tunnel vision. I'm not against holding onto him, but I think it might be a smart move to see what he can fetch. I'm not suggesting we move him for the sake of moving him, I think he could be an attractive piece for slower or younger teams who need speed on the wing and/or leadership.

Of course, if he doesn't fetch anything that helps the habs this year in a potential Playoff run then hold onto him, he can still be very useful. I just think that if he could fetch a good return, said return might fill the needs/weaknesses better than what Gionta can offer. Also my idea of retaining maybe a 1-1.5 of his cap hit could net us a big return, where some teams may like Gio, but not his price. I think he won't be re-signed when his contract is up anyway, due to young guys stepping up,etc. Might as well see if he can be moved to get something for him rather than have him walk/not resigned for nothing.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote