Rrbata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Markus Naslund at least gave Messier a lot of credit:

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/in...lund/main.html
on the other hand:

Quote:
''I was never going make the kind of impact Mess does because I was never going to be the physical force he is,'' Naslund said shortly after becoming captain. ''In his last year here, a lot of players were scared to say anything in the locker room with Mark in the room. To me, the best way to improve a team�s chemistry is through give and take.

''And while I was in awe watching Mario, I was young," he said. "What I learned most from him is that Mario has something that not a lot of people have. He doesn't think he ever is going to fail. When you always have that approach, that you're going to make it, that you are going to make a difference, the mind is a pretty powerful thing.''
and

Quote:
''Markus learned how to use his skills by watching Mario Lemieux and he learned to be more focused and more competitive by watching Mark Messier -- two pretty good leaders I�d say,'' Bertuzzi said. ''I wouldn�t say he was in a shell before Mess left to go back to New York (following the 1999-2000 season), but we needed someone to step up and take charge of this team -- and Markus did not hesitate.
on that second one, when bertuzzi says "i wouldn't say he was in a shell before mess left" i'm guessing what he really means is "he was [and the rest of us also were] in a shell before mess left."

funnily enough, the source is the same: http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/in.../blossoms.html

but even if it's true that naslund learned how to be a captain and how to play with intensity from messier, naslund was a terrible captain and leader. quiet, gutless, maddeningly passive, and almost never stepped up when he had to, unlike, say, prime messier, who of course was everything you'd want in a leader. naslund was a ridiculously skilled scorer, yes. but as a captain.... if he learned how to be the guy that carries the team on his back and to come up big when his team needed him to from messier, messier did a crappy job of mentoring him.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote