Old
02-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Anyone else following a team here?
No one has made a topic for it yet (which surprises me) but I'm actually rooting for Team The Netherlands (obviously) who are now playing in another group vs. Germany (10th in World Ranking), Austria (15) and Italy (16). We're currently 24th :-)

Just like Team GB, Team NL created upsets by winning the previous round, qualifying for the final round.
And just like Team GB, Team NL did lose to Germany tonight but everyone is still beaming with pride. Not ever since the A Pool WC in 1981 do we play at such a high level, keeping up with ze Germans until the end of the second period. By then, our tanks were empty. SOG were 57-10 (!) so a 5-1 loss is not so bad.

Earlier today Austria defeated Italy 3-2 despite being outshot 22-38. But no other team than Germany is expected to win this tournament. Any other outcome would be a HUGE upset (I saw both games online and Austria and Italy are nowhere near the level of Germany).

BTW not once in the history of Hockey has Team NL defeated Germany (except East-Germany, we defeated them once in 1979, that's how we qualified for the Lake Placid Olympics).

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote