View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We have a stupid amount of expendable assets. More so than at any time during the Crosby/Malkin era. We're a Cup contender. We have a D-corps that is rounding into form, possibly one of them expendable in a deal for one top 6 forward.

It's beyond me how people can complain about dealing a D prospect or 1st round pick we won't miss for a better chance at a Cup this year and moving forward.

I'd actually be more interested in acquiring longterm solutions. But if you have a chance at acquiring a guy like Iginla, you do what it takes.
There's a CANYON of difference between selling the farm for Nikolai Kulemin and selling the farm for Jarome Iginla. I hate the first idea, love the second. My argument is if we can land Iggy we won't need Kulemin or anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
If I get Sid and Kunitz a legit second wheel and Geno and Neal a legit third wheel, then Kennedy and Boychuk can go dance the hully gully when the playoffs come for all I care.
And how do you go about getting these two pieces? As I said above, go big and you won't need that second winger. When we made the Hossa deal, we also got Dupuis as a throw-in. Well, we already have Dupuis this time. We just need the Hossa deal 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Tyler Kennedy as a 2nd or third piece in a deal? No one said he's a center piece for an upgrade. I sure as hell didn't say that.
If Kennedy is involved, we have to give up a LOT more. We're talking about a third liner who doesn't play on the PP, doesn't play on the PK and is on the smallish side. Yeah, he has a Stanley Cup ring on his resume, but he's not really someone that has much appeal otherwise. Oh and he doesn't have a contract beyond 2013, either.

As throw-ins go, I guarantee that Dupuis or Cooke would have more appeal to other teams. And if they have more appeal, we may have to give up less if we include one of them. Especially since we have to consider that very few (if any) teams will be completely eliminated from playoff contention by the trade deadline. SO, if a team is dealing away a scoring winger because they're selling, they might be interested in a Dupuis or Cooke to provide something else that COULD still keep them in playoff contention. Deals like this happen all the time at the deadline, and I suspect they're more prevalent in a 48-game schedule.