View Single Post
Old
02-07-2013, 11:03 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
So speaking of Bennett. Is there no possibility he's ready for the NHL this year? If he could be that guy with Crosby, makes Shero's job easier. (Sorry, I don't watch enough WBS games and I know that BB has been injured recently, just returning this weekend, right?)
No, he's not ready period -- injury or not. He needs this year to mature. Hopefully, by next year he'll be ready. He still needs to get accustomed to the long season, playoff grind, habits/lifestyle of a pro, become a complete player, and become a more mature person. I am thrilled with his progress, but this fruit isn't quite ripe yet. (Black aces for playoffs, sure: would be a great experience if WBS gets knocked early)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Anyone willing to try a Kunitz - Sid - Boychuk and Dupuis - Geno - Neal experiment?

Well, it's a good point, and it also brings up the other point some were raising about Boychuk being a better fit than Dustin Jeffrey. Tangradi got a number of games to try to make an impact with Malkin-Neal, and failed. But Jeffrey really only had one game and was improving in this role before being scratched to make room for Boychuk.

I think that both Jeffrey and Boychuk need more time to see what they can do (and I'm ready to turn the page on Tangradi). Jeffrey may need less time because he already is used to our "system", but you can see that as much good as Boychuk is doing, he still has "clicked" yet with Geno and produced anything; and he still seems like he's not exactly sure what to do.

So what I would really like is to get both of these guys in for a couple of games and give each of them opportunities on each of the top-2 lines. For all we know, Boychuk could be a better fit with Sid and Jeffrey a better fit with Geno, or vice-versa. If we have to scratch one of Glass/Adams/Vitale for a couple of games, even though they deserve to play, I think this is an experiment that needs to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Will he make a significant impact before Sid and Geno turn 30?
If we draft the right player, then yes. What it also indicates is: perhaps in a "normal" draft, we could trade our 1st for a rental or for a lower-tier guy like Kulemin/Setoguchi. But if we trade our pick this year, it should be part of a package for a Perry/Ryan, or package it with a Dman like Maatta for a stud forward prospect like Coyle or Niederreiter who are more NHL ready than our draftee would be. We could also package our 1st to trade up to get an even better/more NHL-ready player, as well.

But even if no such trade happened, there are guys in this draft who should be ready to play either by next year, or within 1 or 2 years (Max Domi, as an example). And while we all want that winger who can play with Sid & Geno now, we need to keep this team competitive long-term, and have young guys coming into their prime when Sid & Geno become great veterans (even if less offensive productive) like Yzerman, Oates, Messier, Francis and others before them. (i.e. the Detroit model)