View Single Post
02-07-2013, 11:32 PM
vCash: 500
You have to think Washington is desperate right now. If they don't upgrade their goaltending and make a change soon this season is in the toilet. It's not like they're a team in need of a rebuild either... they have the talent to contend right now.

Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Ironically, Lucic has been a frequent no show during the playoffs. In fact, many of the larger "powerforward" types are quiet because of the increased physicality expected of them. Pure snipers like Kessel are meant to be unleashed regardless of whether it is in the regular or post season.

I am not convinced he does run off for a huge pay increase. Kessel is a relatively quiet guy who, despite wanting to win, prefers to be so away from the limelight. He would have that opportunity here by virtue of not being considered among our media focused core. Offer him 6-8 years and I wager we could get him under or around 5.5M. Even at 6M, Kessel is still affordable.
Great post, exactly what I was going to add.

Lucic was a plug in the SCF; the only real impact he had was when Hamhuis hurt himself hip checking him. You don't have to be a brute to do well in the post season. Kessel has done very well in the post season and 15 games is a reasonable sample size when it comes to the playoffs.

I also think Kessel might not chase the money if he got into a good environment like Vancouver. In Boston there were obvious problems, and Toronto has perennially been terrible where he is the only one doing anything.