View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
The implication is that the Kings might not have as thorough a scouting profile on players from Europe, which is evident by the lack of European players the Kings draft.

Since Lombardi has taken over for the Kings, he's drafted 6 players out of Europe. Out of 55. That's just a smidge over 10% of players drafted out of Europe.

Maybe it's wrong to say that the Kings need to draft more Europeans, but I do think it would be beneficial for them to use more resources to get a wider pool of players in Europe.
But those 6 are also;
Constantin Braun - Meh. Late round pick, no big loss.
Slava Voinov - Great pick in the 2nd round and an NHL player
Andrei Loktionov - Another great pick in a later round and on the cusp of being an NHL player.
Maixim Kitsyn - decent late round pick stuck in a crummy situation in the KHL.
Michael Schumacher - pretty great value so far for a 7th round pick.
Nikolai Prokhorkin - solid 2nd round pick that was able to hang in the AHL as an 19 year old.

There was also Moller, and Hyka who are European but drafted from the CHL, so they don't really count in this discussion.

I don't get the Kings not having a thorough scouting profile from Europe. Every one of those players besides Braun has expressed interest in coming overseas and playing in N.A.. Would you rather the Kings draft highly skilled European players and then have them stay overseas and never have an interest in playing in the NHL? I think the Kings have done a great job of identifying European players that are willing to dedicate themselves to making the team that drafts them and helping it win hockey games and that's huge when it comes to drafting from overseas.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote