View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
What are the odds that our prospects turn into Weiss, a player that would not only improve the Leafs now, but would be a helpful piece for years to come. Do you really think that management are going to support a full-on fire sale? Has that happened through the last 25 years? 30 years?
I do agree Weiss can be a useful piece. But I'd prefer to not trade for him. I think we could do a good job selling off assets, and then in the offseason target (trying to remain somewhat realistic, aka not putting down Getzlaf/Perry):

- Backstrom (short term goalie upgrade)
-a forward with a mix of size/skill (Clowe, Morrow, Horton, Penner, Clarkson, etc)
- a veteran defensive Dman (Lydman, Scuderi, Smid, etc)
- an upgrade at C (Weiss, Filpulla, etc)

I think we can get assets at the trade deadline via selling players off, and then fill some holes in the offseason with some smart free agent signings. As opposed to trading away assets to try and fill those holes. If it's just a secondary piece (like Weiss), then that's the type of piece we should pick up in free agency or an offseason trade, not one we should buy at trade deadline prices when prices are literally the highest they'll be all year.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote