View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Mark Stuart is more Matt Greene than Rob Scuderi. He hits hard, but is not good positionally and does not have a very good first pass. He is almost exactly Matt Greene, good shot blocker, clears the net, charcter player. But not even close to someone you want in your top 4. If the Kings wanted someone to replace Scuderi, they'd be better off targeting Ron Hainsey. He plays a safe game and can handle tough minutes unlike Stuart. He is UFA, but he can probably be had for much less than Scuderi on his next contract.
Hainsey I could see LA going after, but I don't see him being in a deal for Bernier. I'd figure if LA is going to trade for a rental, it'd be a big one, like Iginla for example. If the Jets are out of it at or near the deadline and we are still in it, then I could see us flipping a 2nd or so to the Jets for Hainsey.

I still like Stuart though, and I think that whoever we get, if we get someone signed beyond this year, will be more of a bottom pairing guy. I expect our top 4 to be Doughty-Willie-Voynov-Martinez next year.

Quote:
Honestly, I would put Postma above Martinez at this point. I think Martinez is struggling a little with the top 4 role, seems like he is going to be more suited to the bottom pairing role. Postma has yet to get a serious chance in a top 4 role, but he is dynamite in the bottom pairing role (better than even Martinez, IMO) not quite as good defensively maybe (but damn close), but a better skater, better shot, better offensive awareness, better first pass, etc. I really like Postma and would not want to trade him, but I like Bernier and the Jets problems are in net.
Yeah, I think Postma is severely underrated too. I'm not sure I'd put him ahead of Martinez yet, but he is much better than people believe. I just don't know if he'd fit what the Kings are likely seeking, which is likely a physical type of blueliner.

Quote:
Don't think Jets are ready to give up on Pavelec, particularly with that contract, but having a goalie to push Pavelec might help him regain his focus. He has not been that same since his strong 10-11 when Chris Mason was getting his fair share of starts. I don't think he can handle a regular stater role, starting to look like 1a or 1b type goalie, and a Bernier to push him might make for a great tandem.
Good point, though I think if they are going to get someone to push him it'd be a veteran similar to a Mason, not a kid that would cost a lot of assets and who does NEED to play regularly, like Bernier.

Quote:
But your probably right that the Jets will try to ride Pavelec for now. It's a disappointing since they are ready in all areas to take the next step and the goaltending is killing them right now. We are outplaying opponents, but have had some really disappointing goaltending that is holding the Jets back.
Sounds like the Jets of old!