View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1066
Up From Slavery - Booker T. Washington

As an inspirational book it succeeds, the hard work of this man is nothing short of amazing under his circumstances. I truly wish he was able to write the book in a different era because the pandering to the white people at the time is unbearable. I understand he couldn't rip on them for what they did or probably be burned alive, so the fault isn't with Washington.

But reading any part of it where he claims there are no hard feelings or that white people are generous and kind and wanted the former slaves to succeed is hard to believe. There's a passage about the Ku Klux Klan where he talks about some bad things they've done but then goes on to say they no longer exist and that past is behind everyone, the courteousy of the South won out over any hatred...

Yikes.

Really wish he could have had this book written in 2012, because his story is amazing, but I would like to hear the real story.

Overall - 4/10

Some great stuff, a lot of boring areas about fundraising and the disengenious tone to the book don't translate well today knowing what we do.