View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I've never seen a team win a Cup with a player of Kessels calibre as the franchise player and I've never seen a team win a Cup based off of a "solid group" but no legitimate franchise players.

I would take any and all of the following players over Kessel (ignoring age as a factor, just talking about in a single Cup run):

LA: Quick, Doughty, and Kopitar
Boston: Thomas, Chara, and Bergeron
Chicago: Toews, Hossa, and Keith
Pittsburgh: Crosby and Malkin
Detroit: Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg
Anaheim: Pronger, Niedermayer, Giguere (at the time)
Carolina: E. Staal, Brind'Amour
TB: Lecavalier, St. Louis, B. Richards
etc
etc

Wingers aren't worth squat to build around compared to centres/goalies/D. One-dimensional players aren't worth squat compared to elite all around players to build around.

Would you want to build around Alex Semin as your franchise guy (ignoring injury issues and assuming he was playing at his previous ~PPG level)? Because Semin is a very very comparable player to Kessel in terms of style of play / production historically.

So maybe you don't care about getting a "franchise player", but I guess you also don't care about actually winning anything then.
This is an interesting quote from a guy who wants to LOSE enough games to draft the next big thing. My good man, i was watching playoff games in Maple Leaf Gardens in 1967....you know....the cup year? That team was quoted as being to old and not good enough. We had ZERO superstars....Hell of a hard working team though.

You guys can bash on me all you like....but to those fans wishing to lose....cheering to lose....hoping to tank.....maybe you should pick another hobby.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote