View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Tim Thomas isn't just a great goal tender. The guy is a human highlight reel. The 2 Vezina's, Conn Smythe, and Cup don't even reflect some of what this guy did. He was a journeyman goalie from Europe brought to fill the number 2 spot on the cheap and decided to just dominate the NHL. Carried the team through more than a couple rough patches, and was a big part of making the B's one of the contenders as opposed to competing for a number 8 spot.
Heck, he was a huge part of making hockey significant again in Boston. When he started here, B's followers were third class citizens in the sports realm? "Why would you follow them, they stink!!" is what I was told by numerous Sox and Pats fans, seemingly unaware that current stretch of success didn't reflect the history of either of those franchises. I used to seek out the other fans in a corner of a bar where the bartender forgot to turn one of the TV's to NBA. And we'd sit there like the lepers we were watching the turn around.
It's too bad we live in a world where a goalie acting just a tad odd gets treated like Judas, but other athletes can run around with unlicensed fire arms, politicians watch people die, and the people responsible for televising the worst the human race has to offer have NYT best selling biographies and all of that's ok.
People toss around arguments about what being a true fan on these boards (both ours and other teams') and for the most part it's pretty lame. However, I think that true Bruins fans, no matter their background, can't help but have some sort of fondness for TT because the state of the organization today would be very different without him.
This all over x1000.. I remember going to bars/shows and asking them to put on a bruins game and it was "uhh ok.. we'll put you on this tv" and it was the 13 inch tv from 1997 that people forgot about. Nevermind the people looking at me like i had 3 heads.

Also it really is a bummer that some people see him as a judas around here. Just had a debate with a fellow co-worker about him and his stance on things. It still resonates. Hopefully in 5-10 years (or sooner) people can get past certain aspects of his career and be proud to say you cheered him on... end of inspirational rant haha.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote