Thread: Value of: Ovechkin
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
You know i had this discussion with someone over the weekend. If Ovi was on the block and the Caps want to go in a different direction maybe a trade around DiPietro ++ and Ovi might make sense.

Both players have 8 years left on their contracts after this year.

The Caps can buy out DP - pay him 24 million over the next 16 years ( w/o it going against the cap).

Ovi is owed about 80 million over the next 8 years ( Islanders have plenty of cap space plus the islanders lose DP 4.5 million a year salary).

The questions are do the Caps want to trade the face of their franchise, will the Islanders want to pay to make a run at a playoff spot and how much more do the Isles have to add to the trade.
My proposal around Brian Richards is similar, but gives Caps 1+ yrs production before buyout, which is not automatic, cause BR contract declines with buyout at end already in that contract, if I am not mistaken. So as long as he is mostly close to form, he may not be worth the full 6.6 per cap hit til that last contract phase, but he should have enough production and thus value to be marketable, even if at a discount due to declining skills.

DiP has minimal play value at this point; only option would be buy-out.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote