Thread: Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Pominville does provide something very unique to USA's offense: a playmaking winger. The only other good playmakers we have are Stastny and Kane. And pretty much all of our centers outside of Stastny are shoot-first guys. Pominville's ability in that regard could and should be a big part of USA actually getting lines that click/have some chemistry. Not to mention he's a very good two-way player; he's not a "checking" player, but he's good at stripping opponents of the puck, particularly in the neutral zone, and churning the play the other direction. Callahan is obviously a better physical player and better along the boards, but I his skill set is replicated by a ton of USA's other forwards and could easily be less valuable to USA than Pominville's on big ice/given the rest of the make-up of the team.
Fair points, but in my opinion you've got 3 lines Pominville won't fit on.

Line 1, contains either Stastny or Kane. Line 2, contains either Stastny or Kane. Line 3, contains Brown-Backes-Cally, a line which should be kept as a shutdown and physical line.

So the real question is what team USA tries to make the 4th line out to be. Pominville could definitely play a major role in a Ryan - Pavelski line if they were used offensively. But he could also end up the odd man out if they need an energy/grinding line and they opt for Oshie and use Kesler or Backes in that role as the center.

I just don't see him as someone we can look at the projected roster today and say 'He's definitely going to play a key role in it'.