View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Miller was just an example. I know we dont have had a lot of high picks in recent years. But surely we should have been able to find at least 1 forward who could contribute on his ELC.
This is what happens when teams concentrate largely on drafting defensemen with their top two picks most years. Since Shero has taken over, these are the forwards taken in the first two rounds by the Pens (since the 2006 draft):

2012 - Blueger (52nd overall)
2011 - None
2010 - Bennett (20th overall)
2009 - None
2008 - None
2007 - Esposito (20th overall), Veilleux (51st overall)
2006 - Staal (2nd overall)

Five total forwards over 7 drafts; one was a slam dunk, and one was dealt to acquire Hossa. Which leaves 3 forwards drafted since 2006 in our system (2, now that Veilleux seems to have lost his chance).

Look around the league at the majority of the impact rookies or ELC players. Yes, there are some diamonds in the rough (which we've also not really had either), but the majority of them are former 1st or 2nd round picks. So it's not surprising we don't have any youngsters on ELC contracts making contributions to our forward ranks when the Pens don't put much priority in selecting them high.

Edit: Heh, I guess this is more a discussion in the prospects thread. Oops, thought that's where I was when I quoted the post I did.