View Single Post
02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
les Habs
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
Sorry nothing is bolded in your reply. The 45/33.5/28.6 is the yearly salary converted to each currency. Divide by 52 for weekly wage, no?

What is his current release clause? Must be well over 100 million if not 150. Someone could theoretically pay that one day but would Messi want to leave anyways? His release clause could be $1 but unless he agreed to leave it doesn't matter.
Sorry. Forgot that part. I'm not disputing your math, or even the salary figure. It was a legitimate question. Still seems really high. Take those figures, divide by two, the length of the extension, and then that seems more likely to me.

I think it's along the lines of 250 million, but I'm not positive. Anyway, as you say, he'd have to agree to the move. Never say never, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Even if he wanted to leave, that doesn't mean that he couldn't "force" a move at lower than the buyout clause. IMO buyout clauses are good, but they only protect againt a really agressive bid for a player. It's great to have in place if Madrid were to come calling, but if Messi wanted to go to say Inter I doubt the buyout clause does much to help unless the club were to dig in it's heels for the remainder of his contract. For me the importance of this deal is that it extends so he's tied to the club for five more years contractually which IMO means he'll be around for three more seasons minimum after this season.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote