View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
redbull
Expect more

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Point is you can't keep everyone. Moves are needed to address problem spots. Nabokov wont be back next year, who is the starter? Poulin? Nilsson? Maybe we will yet deal for a goalie. Is Streit back next year? We go with Hamonic, A-Mac, Strait for sure but can we count on Donovan and de Haan to carry a heavy load?
I think we have a lot of young prospects but it's impossible to think that all of them will make the NHL. There will be some Kyle Beach or Justin Mapletoft types that simply won't be good enough. But I'm afraid that none will be impact players, enough to make the team better.

Nino Niederreiter might not be a 30 goal guy. What if he takes a Taylor Pyatt path? Will Ryan Strome be like Kyle Wellwood?

Brock Nelson could be Ryan Malone or JVR or Couturier or Joe Colborne.

Isles fans (especially) run the danger of assuming these young players will reach their max upside and contribute at a level where we WANT them to. But sometimes, young small defensemen (like Hickey) don't become Rafalski, they remain more like Nick Leddy or Brett Lebda or Bruno Gervais.

Ty Wishart and Griffin Reinhart and Chris Pronger and Erik Johnson share a lot of similarities and at one time, showed promise.

We don't know what we have, we only know what we MIGHT have.

Tavares is the ONLY Isles prospect since Lafontaine that came in and delivered as expected, and not even right away, it took 3 years.

If we want Yandle, the price might be something like Nino, deHaan and a #1 pick. Dreger believes the price for Kessel is about the same.
Would the Isles deal Strome, Okposo and a #1 pick for Kessel? Cuz that might get it done. But I'd imagine Isles fans would freak out at that price becaues Strome could be the #2 Centre we need and the #1 pick might be the next Jeff Skinner.

The Isles CANNOT trade and get better unless they are taking on salary. Salary/Cap Space is the ONE ASSET the Isles have that has market value, and only to a few teams that are trying to win, hence, spending close to the cap. But that's not something Wang/Snow have shown any interest in leveraging, as evidenced by the Thomas move.

So we stick to the draft, internal development, prayer and voodoo combined. And hope we don't break Tavares, Hamonic, MacDonald along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Hey, question on that subject. What's the deal with Ryan Whitney in Edmonton? I haven't seen enough of him in recent years to know how he's playing, but on paper there's a still relatively youngish d-man with size and some offense. I see the Isles and Edm as good trade partners. Just wondering. While we're at it, Paajarvi too.
I've seen almost all the Oilers games this year. Whitney's fallen into a #3-4 dman. Justin Schultz has outplayed him by a wide margin, getting more minutes, more PP time. Whitney's terrible defensively (I think he's paired with Smid) but hardly what a $4MM dman should be. He's like Streit, good offensively, not great defensively, shows flashes. Striet's a better player IMO. Whitney's a UFA at the end of the year. I believe he'll be dealt if the Oilers are out of the playoffs, but I have a feeling they'll make it (or be close to it)

On Paajarvi, his upside is what David Ullstrom is now. He's a terrible player, 8-9 minutes per night, skates hard, kinda lost on the ice. Even Matt Martin is a better player if you remove his physical play, toughness and fighting. Paajarvi seems lost offensively.

If he were drafted in the 4th-5th round, it wouldn't be such a failure, but given he was top ten, people expect more (see Josh Bailey, who it TEN TIMES the player Paajarvi is).

Expectations based on draft position or salary - that's what ruins things at times.

btw, we should have signed Redden. He looks really good in STL!