View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 07:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think we have a lot of young prospects but it's impossible to think that all of them will make the NHL. There will be some Kyle Beach or Justin Mapletoft types that simply won't be good enough. But I'm afraid that none will be impact players, enough to make the team better.

Nino Niederreiter might not be a 30 goal guy. What if he takes a Taylor Pyatt path? Will Ryan Strome be like Kyle Wellwood?

Brock Nelson could be Ryan Malone or JVR or Couturier or Joe Colborne.

Isles fans (especially) run the danger of assuming these young players will reach their max upside and contribute at a level where we WANT them to. But sometimes, young small defensemen (like Hickey) don't become Rafalski, they remain more like Nick Leddy or Brett Lebda or Bruno Gervais.

Ty Wishart and Griffin Reinhart and Chris Pronger and Erik Johnson share a lot of similarities and at one time, showed promise.

We don't know what we have, we only know what we MIGHT have.

Tavares is the ONLY Isles prospect since Lafontaine that came in and delivered as expected, and not even right away, it took 3 years.

If we want Yandle, the price might be something like Nino, deHaan and a #1 pick. Dreger believes the price for Kessel is about the same.
Would the Isles deal Strome, Okposo and a #1 pick for Kessel? Cuz that might get it done. But I'd imagine Isles fans would freak out at that price becaues Strome could be the #2 Centre we need and the #1 pick might be the next Jeff Skinner.

The Isles CANNOT trade and get better unless they are taking on salary. Salary/Cap Space is the ONE ASSET the Isles have that has market value, and only to a few teams that are trying to win, hence, spending close to the cap. But that's not something Wang/Snow have shown any interest in leveraging, as evidenced by the Thomas move.

So we stick to the draft, internal development, prayer and voodoo combined. And hope we don't break Tavares, Hamonic, MacDonald along the way.
Wow, really well said Redbull, and I wouldn't change a word of it. Your notes on the salary cap space asset in particular. It is entirely frustrating to watch Tavares between two useless wings when all Wang has to do is take on one bloated salary that another team would love to lose.

On Hye Drey's question regarding Snow's seeming fear of making a trade at this point, I don't think it is a fear at all. I think it is blatantly obvious the Garth has been given a million or so above the cap floor as his salary ceiling. That's why he doesn't make any trades, because we would end up gaining some amount of salary. If a $5 million player would cost us a lesser player who costs $1.5 million, a prospect on an ELC Making $1 mill, and a pick that costs $0, that means Chucky has to fork out an additional $2.5 million a year. I couldn't spell it out any plainer than that. It is all about keeping it cheap, and nothing about winning or developing players.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 02-08-2013 at 08:04 PM.