View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
I'm just talking their CHL guys, but ya I did mention Pitlick.

As I said at the time, and it continues to be true today, the top two rounds shouldn't be used for guys who're most likely gonna be bottom-6ers or bottom pairing d-men.

Musil was an okay risk because he was so defensively responsible that you hoped he'd be able to at least rise to a Smid-like level in development. Hope he can, but injuries are always a concern in development.

But Pitlick wasn't a big producer for most of his amateur career, and Moroz definitely wasn't worthy of being a high 2nd rounder. They may turn out, actually I think Pitlick will have something of an NHL career in the 4th line role. But you hope for more from borderline 1st round picks.

I'm not writing off Reider, but he looks to be following the Liam Reddox development model-- great post-draft season and then...what happened? Not a positive sign, at the very least. And not a lot of smaller bottom-6 forwards in the league.

Zharkov's just a bigger banger, and if he can figure out the skating and consistent scoring, he could develop into a nice Hartikainen-type, I think.

Not writing anybody off-- I just don't see a lot of NHL hope/talent in the CHL group. They're all relative longshots to being impact players.
Rieder has been terrific this year. There is a lot more to his game than points. He has played much of the year with the Rangers versions of Belanger and Eager. The whole Ranger team is much more defensively oriented than it was the last two years.

Now that Rieder is playing with Leivo and has moved to center he has put up points at a similar clip to last year. He has 11 goals in his last ten games and has goals in 9 of those games. The guy is also a very good defensive forward. He is 5'11' and about 190lbs.

Zharkov is not really a banger at all. In fact he is no more overtly physical than Rieder. Bith finish their checks but niether is a bigg hitter.

That said all prospects picked out of the second round are longshots to be NHL'ers. Once you are in the 2nd you are looking at aboit 1 in 6 or worse to ever play in the NHl for mor ethan a cup of coffee.

I actually agree that Pitlick has a good chance to be a regular NHL'er. And while you might hope for more the fact is that even for a high second that is actually a preety good outcome.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote