Thread: Value of: Evgeny Kuznetsov to Edmonton
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
BeersHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
The teams that prefer to develop players in the AHL instead of the "tossing them into the deep end full of sharks and hoping they can swim fast" style. You know - the Tambellini way. Of course, you have little to worry as Tambellini will just say "oh well, we'll get em next time - hey Nate, your turn".
I don't know - guys like Yakupov should be playing in the NHL. I think he would have made Detroit's squad out of camp this year, and DET is a team that loves to over-marinate their prospects. Most all of the #1 overall players are just on that level, and there is little that seasoning in the AHL or juniors or staying overseas is going to do, except let them physically mature a bit more. I might be wrong, and throwing those guys in the deep end in their first year might be wrong, but it has become a standard, kinda like rookie QBs in the NFL are getting to start right away, whereas most would never sniff the field in their first-year 10 years ago. Certainly, you have examples like Stamkos, who struggled hugely in his first year, but ultimately it probably helped his development over staying in Sarnia. On the other hand, I am not sure it has been as beneficial to Hall - Seguin seems to have outshone him so far, but was admittedly placed in a much better (i.e. less pressure) situation than Hall. I am interested to see how Huberdeau develops, I was surprised that the Panthers kept him in juniors last year, although he was REALLY light.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote