View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 07:16 PM
BamBamCam*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, you know, its interesting because I played against US born goalies in various tournaments from Pee Wee through Bantam in the States, attended Hockey Camps with several Americans doing same in the late 60's, and I can tell you, those players were damn good. Every bit as good and in several cases better than their Canadian counterparts at the same age. They didnt face the same quality of forward or shooter during their regular seasons and had a chance to develop a lot of confidence (goaltending is about 90% mental), work on their games for which much can be said.

Unfortunately as a result, Scouts from the Junior leagues discounted their abilities. They went undrafted or even invited to try out, going the routes of High School & NCAA, all but ignored. Some very serious talent never given the opportunity to shine at the then as it was designated AA amateur level, followed by Jr. B and A. Definitely ahead of most of their contemporaries playing forward or defence in places like Erie, Boston, Chicago & elsewhere, more than capable of playing AA in Montreal, Toronto or elsewhere followed by Junior. Big mistake IMO by hockey intel of the era. I was one of the best for my age 2 yrs up or down for my birth year in Ontario, and I played against guys in the US who were equal to me, a couple probably better at certain aspects of the game technically than I could ever hope to be.
Wasn't much different when I played in tourneys in Canada in the early 80s. But by that time, Yank players were getting more respect but not much. On my team, Tim Sweeney made it out and into the NHL. We played against that first wave of great Americans to make it, ie, Roenick, Amonte, Stevens, McEachern, etc..

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote