View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
This is what I would like the league to implement for the 3 conference format if they ever read the board for the following reason: balanced schedule in this regular season games. If we go with 2 conference and 3 divisions each conference, there's still unbalanced schedule with only 18 interconference games. So with this schedule, I like the 40 games with interconference games if you balance it with home/away.

However, the playoffs format remains the sticky spot. Since the schedule breakdown looks good. I have put in the idea a few years ago about this format and I would like to revisit the format for this thread.

There are two stages of the 3 conference to determine the playoff bracket. I will put the illustration on how this will work.

Stage One

Fig 1.0Attachment 60937 (Click this image to enlarge)

Five simple steps from this illustration:

First step: Each teams' first 58 games schedule will be played, home and away against 29 other teams, two games against each other for this allotment standing to count.

Second step: We count all teams win/loss into the conference standing. You will see the T in the column, it represents the regulation time tied into OT does not affect the true standing in OTL we have now. This is to prevent the conference games 3 pointer while other conference has played fewer OT.

Third step: with all the games counted, it determines the strength of the three conference and top 2 conference will be awarded 6 playoff spots and the last conference will be awarded 4 playoff spots. This announcement can be made right before the all-star break.

Fourth step: After the announcement, teams' remain 26 games will be played against the conference play in February/March/April.

Fifth step: All teams' 84 games is counted toward the final standing that includes OTL to determine total points for each team in the conference and playoff begins with the illustration below.

Stage Two

Fig 2.0 Attachment 60939 (Click this image to enlarge)

Four simple steps in the playoff bracket:

First step: All first round series is best of 7. (See Fig 2.0 for match-ups for each conference)

Second step: the weakest conference first round winners will be split up and join two strongest conference. (see Fig 2.0). Two strongest conference will not meet each other until the Stanley Cup Final. The first round winners will be grouped together in a box for the reseeding purpose.

Third step: after reseeding, all second round series is best of 7 and remains that way until the Cup Finals.

Fourth step: the bracket will lead to the Stanley Cup final and the two weakest conference teams that was split up could potentially meet each other for the final if they wins their next two series against other teams in the bracket.

I know that this idea is complicated but if you follow those steps, it becomes much simple to follow and makes the most sense.
How could it possibly be guaranteed to be fair that two Conferences get 6 Playoff teams and one Conference only gets 4 Playoff teams? It might work out that way sometimes, but most times... ?

Last edited by MoreOrr: 02-08-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo