View Single Post
02-08-2013, 09:34 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
You're overrating our players. Ian Cole is just as good on left defense as Matt Niskanen is. Different type of player, but just as good. The Blues' issues go beyond adding a Matt Niskanen to their blueline. Again, they have the D corps to get out of this slump they're in.

I don't disagree that they probably would love to get out from under ANY contracts that aren't producing. But they're in a very difficult predicament, in that they're among the top contenders in the Western Conference and yet can't really take on any salary. So, basically they need to become another Nashville or Phoenix. And I don't think they have the goaltending to do that.

Anyways, 'throwing in' one of our D prospects for Chris Stewart is not something I'd be interested in doing at this time. I'm keeping our D prospects unless we're adding an elite winger. Otherwise, deal the Niskanen's, Dupuis', Cooke's, Kennedy's et al.
Nisky is a better defender than Cole at this point. At the very least, it gives them two legit options for a top pairing role in the postseason if Cole takes the next step. At this point, Niskanen is the far more proven commodity. As long as he comes back from injury and plays to his capability, we have a solid trade chip on our hands.

The Blues will have to move Stewart eventually. Would they rather take a future or a piece that can help them now and another that helps them longterm.

Why not move one of Harrington/Maatta for Stewart? They're not making this roster anytime soon. We get a proven 28 goal scorer with size, wheels and RHS who plays the front of the net and who we can sign longterm in the summer as a RFA.

If you'd rather target someone else, cool. But the whole, I'm holding onto my D prospects for elite wingers. Well, we don't need an Iginla or Perry. And in case you forgot, Neal was on a very similar career path to Stewart before he was traded here and now we call him elite.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote