View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Saying Quick, Price and Ward are not stats goalies and to compare their lot with MAF doesn't make much sense. Price's career numbers are much better than MAF's with similar playoff numbers. Quick career numbers and playoff numbers are both much better than MAF's. Ward's regular season stats are similar to MAF's but his playoff stats are much better.

There's a reason why the Vezina finalists/tournament honors/the considered best goalies in the league/etc are always goalies with great stats and it's not because there are stat goalies and non-stat goalies. It's because guys that regulatory stop a higher percentage of shots are better than guys that regularly stop a lower percentage of shots.

For anyone deriding goalie stats, I have a question. What will it say about MAF's past and current performance if Vokoun, long considered a "stats goalie", post significantly better numbers than MAF this year while playing on the same team, with the same defense, with a similar amount of games? Does this mean that Vokoun is a better goalie? Does this mean that goalie stats may actually mean something since Vokoun will have played for 4 different NHL teams in his career and has been good in different circumstances, that maybe goalies have more of an effect on their overall numbers than people want to believe? That a goalie's ability to stop shots might have a bit more with their own skill level than the team in front of them?
Yes the Vezina trophy goes to stats. Once again, try to keep up, best stats do not always mean best goalie. Think of it this way, this may help you. The Vezina is like the Heisman Trophy- It goes to a guy with great stats, but not always the best player. That is why 99% of the time the Heisman trophy winner isn't the first overall pick.

I can tell you as someone who has played the position my entire life through college, and has been coaching the position for years as well, when you analyze a goalies performance as a coach, stats mean very little.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote