View Single Post
Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 PM
finchster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
It's true, everyone has cap space this year, but Chiarelli has been willing to pay "stupid" prices before. A 1st, 2nd and a prospect for Kaberle was WAY more than I thought he'd be willing to give up for a guy on an expiring contract.
Chiarelli saw Kaberle as a top four defencemen and wanted him for a while. It didn't work out with Kaberle, but Chiarelli paid a high price for a guy he thought was a missing piece and a player he had been perusing for a while. Chiarelli wouldn’t give up a 1st, 2nd and a prospect for a guy he sees as a rental, he had every intention to re-sign Kaberle until it fell apart.

With the cap decreasing next season (I think it will go up past the 64.3m mark), Chiarelli won’t trade these assets because any player coming in is a strict rental, because if Chiarelli intends to keep a player he picks up at the deadline the team needs to be restructured. I have no doubt other GM’s will throw around such packages for rentals, but that hasn’t been Chiarelli’s thought process since he was here.

If the Bruins can stay healthy their biggest need is to improve on Chris Bourque and get an NHL defencemen for depth. Believe me, I would love a guy like Iginla or Perry at the deadline but I just don’t see the Bruins making a big splash even with the cap space.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote