View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 03:37 AM
Monument
Start The Shooting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Summary: [My] player with a small sample size, the best at his position for the team last season, is more proven than [your] player with a small sample size, the best at his position for the team last season, and you should watch [my] team to know [my] player is thus legitimate while [yours] isn't.
Not really, nice try though. You can drop the defensive act and stop making senseless claims by putting words in my mouth.

I may not watch ROR as much as Avalanche Fans do, you won't see me claim to do so. However, I do know the difference between a legit #1 center and a very good #2. ROR is a VERY GOOD #2 center. You and other Avalanche fans claim he's selke caliber. I disagree, being that he's on that next level just a tad below the guys who finish as finalists year in year out or win it... (Datsyuk, Kesler, Bergeron, Backes, M. Richards, etc.) but with guys Callahan, Zajac, etc. You can argue the intangibles all you want, but the difference between ROR and Ryan McDonagh is that Ryan McDonagh has stepped up to become arguably (and with a damn good argument) the Rangers best defenseman one of the BEST defensive teams in the league. His play was consistent with his play from 2011.

ROR has 1 50-point season. I'm not saying that he can't or ever will duplicate that kind of season. Hell, I think he'll be a 20 goal, 60+ point player (at the level of a Zajac, for example) when it's all said and done. However, if you want to talk sample sizes and double standards, let it be known that Ryan McDonagh has played this well since entering the league, while ROR broke out offensively in his 3rd season. In only McDonagh's 2nd season, he established himself as one of the NHL's TOP shutdown defenders while being near the top of the league in even strength points by a defenseman, quite the feat considering that he's only in his 2nd season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
His offense in his sophomore is what you would expect from a 19 year-old pressed into a bottom-6 role on a not very good team until injuries allowed him to step up. O'Reilly got the chance in his second season and showed improvement.
That's the point that smoneil has been trying to make throughout this entire saga.

McDonagh has maintained a higher level of play for his position since entering the league as opposed to ROR, who's offense didn't break through until last season and didn't finish in the top-20 in Selke Voting until last season.

No one is trashing ROR. I said I'd trade Derek Stepan for him and I'm of the kind that believes Stepan can be a 60-70 point player someday. But some of you Avs fans need to stop getting offended by posters who are quick to point out a reason why they wouldn't give up "x" or "y" for ROR.

Monument is offline   Reply With Quote